John Hewitt - St. Chad's House

wvp library075_24x20.jpg
wvp library075_24x20.jpg

John Hewitt - St. Chad's House

90.00

Name: St. Chad’s House
Artist: John Hewitt
Type: Gilcee Print, 300gsm, fine art smooth rag paper
Size: 240mm x 200mm
Edition: Signed Limited Edition of 50

A face at the window. This stone head carved in the form of a green man can be found at the back of Uppermill Library, otherwise know as St Chad’s House. The inscription recalls that a wooden house stood on this spot in Elizabethan times. It was replaced in the Stuart era by a stone farmhouse known as Upper Mill. This was rebuilt in 1794 and further transformed when the antiquarian and architect George Shaw reclad the structure in a ‘Tudorbethan’ manner during the 1840s, using decorative masonry rescued from the demolished medieval church of St Chad’s. Another of Shaw’s antique finds hangs inside the building. It is a heraldic panel that has recently been identified as part of the wedding bed of King Henry VII. It went unrecognised for many decades, but when a request was made for the panel to be reunited with the rest of the bed, the parish council nobly refused to let it go.


Quantity:
Add To Cart